Edinson Cavani’s 40-yard lob for Manchester United against Fulham has been voted as the Premier League Goal of the Season in the annual Sports Mole Reader Awards.
The Uruguayan lofted the ball over Alphonse Areola from just inside the Fulham half to open the scoring on May 18, although replays suggested that the goal should not have stood due to Cavani being in an offside position when the ball was played to him.
VAR ruled that Bruno Fernandes had touched the ball, which in turn had played Cavani onside, but replays did not appear to confirm that ruling.
Nevertheless, Cavani’s stunning strike took 27.6% of the votes in the end-of-season awards, narrowly pipping Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson Becker’s remarkable late winner against West Bromwich Albion just two days earlier.
Erik Lamela’s outrageous rabona goal for Tottenham Hotspur in the North London derby against Arsenal finished third with 14.4% of the votes, while Son Heung-min’s solo effort in the reverse edition of the same fixture was fourth with 10.3%.
Spurs were on the wrong end of another leading contender, with Manuel Lanzini’s dramatic last-gasp equaliser for West Ham United coming fifth with 9.2% of the votes.
- Edinson Cavani (MANCHESTER UNITED vs. Fulham – May 18, 2021) – 27.6%
- Alisson Becker (West Bromwich Albion vs. LIVERPOOL – May 16, 2021) – 24.7%
- Erik Lamela (Arsenal vs. TOTTENHAM – March 13, 2021) – 14.4%
- Son Heung-min (TOTTENHAM vs. Arsenal – December 6, 2020) – 10.3%
- Manuel Lanzini (Tottenham vs. WEST HAM – October 18, 2020) – 9.2%
- Ferran Torres (Newcastle vs. MANCHESTER CITY – May 14, 2021) – 6.9%
- Eberechi Eze (CRYSTAL PALACE vs. Sheffield United – January 2, 2021) – 4%
- Matheus Pereira (Everton vs. WEST BROMWICH ALBION – September 19, 2020) – 1.1%
= Tanguy Ndombele (Sheffield United vs. TOTTENHAM – January 17, 2021) – 1.1%
- Sebastien Haller (WEST HAM vs. Crystal Palace – December 16, 2020) – 0.6%