Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has suggested that misfiring striker Fernando Torres will be dropped to the bench again.
Speaking in the wake of Chelsea’s 2-0 Carling Cup defeat by Liverpool on Tuesday, in which the Blues switched to a 4-4-2 formation in an effort to better suit the Spaniard, Villas-Boas said he would return to his usual system for Saturday’s Premier League clash with Newcastle – a move that is likely to see British football’s most expensive signing going back on the bench.
“We’re going back to 4-3-3 at Newcastle and Didier Drogba is showing good signs of returning,” Villas-Boas said.
“Fernando has shown in the past that he has that ability and we will continue to pursue it. It must come with time and confidence but Fernando is facing tough competition.”
“We still believe in him and we will continue to pursue his individual form.”
“Our task as technical staff is to get the best out of the players. If we cannot do it, that’s when we fail and we have to improve.”
The 50-million-pound striker, 10 months on from his move to Stamford Bridge from Anfield, has scored four goals in 15 matches for the Blues this season and has so far completed 90 minutes for Villas-Boas only twice.