TagsAlex Ferguson Andre Villas-Boas Andy Carroll Arsene Wenger Carlo Ancelotti Carlos Tevez Cesc Fabregas Cristiano Ronaldo David de Gea David Luiz Didier Drogba Dimitar Berbatov Edwin van der Sar Emmanuel Adebayor Fabio Capello Fernando Torres Frank Lampard Harry Redknapp Jack Wilshere Javier Hernandez John Terry Jose Mourinho Karim Benzema Kenny Dalglish Lionel Messi Luis Suarez Luka Modri? Mario Balotelli Michael Essien Nemanja Vidic Nicolas Anelka Paul Scholes Pep Guardiola Rio Ferdinand Roberto Mancini Robin Van Persie Roman Abramovich Roy Hodgson Ryan Giggs Samir Nasri Sergio Aguero Sir Alex Ferguson Wayne Rooney Wojciech Szczesny Yossi Benayoun
News from around Europe
- De Fauw shellshocked by Zulte eliminationSV Zulte Waregem players were shellshocked after elimination according to captain Davy de Fauw while FC Rubin Kazan forward José Rondón is looking forward to the knockout stage.
- Happy end for St Gallen, Swans subduedRoberto Rodriguez was glad FC St Gallen’s campaign ended with a win against Swansea City AFC, from whom Jonathan De Guzmán expects improvement in the round of 32.
- Valencia taking it game by gameAs FC Kuban Krasnodar rued missed chances, Valencia CF scorer Paco Alcácer and José Gaya, making his first start, at least had something to smile about as Valencia CF look ahead.
- Steely Chornomorets earn Dja Djedje praiseAfter FC Chornomorets Odesa edged PSV Eindhoven 1-0 to advance, match winner Franck Dja Djedje said his side’s positive attitude and stoic defence were key to their success.
- Liberec sneak into last 32 at EstorilEstoril Praia 1-2 FC Slovan Liberec
Jaroslav Šilhavý’s side secured second spot in Group H and a place in the round of 32 by edging past the hosts in Portugal.
- Lyon top Group I with Guimarães scalpVitória SC 1-2 Olympique Lyonnais
The visitors came from behind to secure all three points in Portugal and guarantee themselves progress as Group I winners.
- Trabzonspor top section with Lazio drawSS Lazio 0-0 Trabzonspor AŞ
The Turkish side battled to a hard-fought draw in Rome to finish two points clear of their opponents at the top of Group J.
- Final six complete round of 32 lineupFC Chornomorets Odesa, FC Dynamo Kyiv, Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC, NK Maribor, FC Slovan Liberec and Swansea City AFC filled the final six round of 32 berths on Thursday.
- Undefeated Genk see off ThunFC Thun 0-1 KRC Genk
Mario Been’s Group G winners will go into the round of 32 unbeaten after a narrow victory over Thun, who finish bottom of the standings.
- Rijeka draw the sting from BetisReal Betis Balompié 0-0 HNK RijekaAlready sure of a place in the round of 16, Betis had a subdued end to their Group I campaign, with their visitors creating the better chances in Seville.
- Maccabi Haifa recover to edge out ShakhterMaccabi Haifa FC 2-1 FC Shakhter Karagandy
Shimon Abuhazira’s fine strike ten minutes from time completed a stirring comeback as the hosts won the race for third in Group L.
- Legia beat Apollon for first group stage winApollon Limassol FC 0-2 Legia Warszawa
Polish side earn their first points of the group stage but finish bottom of Group J with comfortable win in Cyprus
- Sheriff finally triumph against TromsøFC Sheriff 2-0 Tromsø IL
First-half headers from Cadu and Ismail Isa earned the Moldovan champions their first win in Group K, condemning Tromsø to last place.
- Freiburg sent packing by SevillaSC Freiburg 0-2 Sevilla FC
Vicente Iborra and Raul Rusescu scored in each half as the visitors – already assured a round of 32 berth – ended Freiburg’s ambitions.
- AZ pip PAOK to top spot in Group LPAOK FC 2-2 AZ Alkmaar
Stelios Pozoglou struck a 94th-minute equaliser for PAOK, but AZ finished top of Group L above the hosts thanks to their superior head-to-head record.
- Soldado flourish maintains Spurs's flawless runTottenham Hotspur FC 4-1 FC Anji Makhachkala
Roberto Soldado’s hat-trick helped Spurs to finish Group K with maximum points, though Ewerton’s goal had given the visitors a glimmer of hope.
- Dynamo stagger on after Rapid successFC Dynamo Kyiv 3-1 SK Rapid Wien
Oleh Blokhin’s side made it to the round of 32 at their guests’ expense, but it took a Miguel Veloso free-kick to steady nerves in the Ukrainian capital.
- APOEL out as Frankfurt prove too strongEintracht Frankfurt 2-0 APOEL FC
Second-half goals from Stephan Schröck and Constant Djakpa rewarded a bumper crowd in Frankfurt as APOEL’s hopes were ended.
- Paços hold firm to deny PanduriiCS Pandurii Târgu Jiu 0-0 FC Paços de FerreiraBoth sides depart from Group E without a victory as Henrique Calisto’s team survived an onslaught from the hosts to finish third in Group E.
- Kuban exit after Valencia drawValencia CF 1-1 FC Kuban Krasnodar
Lorenzo Melgarejo equalised with six minutes remaining but a draw proved insufficient for the visitors to emerge from Group A.
- Unbeaten Rubin eliminate Zulte WaregemSV Zulte Waregem 0-2 FC Rubin Kazan
Two goals in the last 11 minutes sealed victory for unbeaten Rubin and eliminated their Belgian hosts, who gave up second spot in Group D by Maribor NK.
- Filipovič stunner sends Maribor throughNK Maribor 2-1 Wigan Athletic FC
The Slovenian outfit secured second spot in Group D as a win eliminated the Latics in Uwe Rösler’s first game in charge.
- Dja Djedje has PSV heading for the exitPSV Eindhoven 0-1 FC Chornomorets Odesa
A powerful header from Franck Dja Djedje eliminated PSV and earned Chornomorets a first taste of springtime European football.
- Swansea through despite St Gallen defeatFC St Gallen 1-0 Swansea City AFC
Marco Mathys ensured St Gallen bowed out on a high, but FC Kuban Krasnodar’s failure to beat Valencia CF meant Swansea safely advanced from Group A.
- Fiorentina sink Dnipro to top Group EACF Fiorentina 2-1 FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
Joaquín and Juan Cuadrado got the goals as the Viola came from behind to secure a victory which sewed up top spot in Group E.