Roberto Mancini has confirmed that Manchester City have agreed a fee with Brazilian club Corinthians for the sale of Carlos Tevez.
City have accepted a bid in excess of £40 million after rejecting an initial appoach by Corinthians for last season’s joint-top scorer in the Premier League.
City are currently on a pre-season tour of the United States and following their win over Club America, Mancini confirmed a deal had been struck.
“We have an agreement with Corinthians but Carlos now is still a City player,” Mancini said.
Asked whether Tevez would now be allowed to discuss personal terms, Mancini said: “I don’t know this. I repeat, at the moment, Carlos is still a City player.
“I want to wait. At the moment we are here, we are working with the other guys. We should think about this.”
Corinthians will have to move quickly to complete any deal for Argentina striker Tevez, who is keen to return to South America to be closer to his family, as Brazil’s international transfer window closes on Wednesday.
If a deal is struck to take Tevez back to the club he won the Campeonato Brasileiro with in 2005, City are likely to target Atletico Madrid forward Sergio Aguero as a replacement and the 23-year-old Argentine will have big shoes to fill.
Tevez has become a City icon since joining from arch-rivals Manchester United in 2009 and his goals inspired them to FA Cup glory last season, as well as a third-place finish and qualification for the 2011-12 UEFA Champions League.
The talismanic forward has scored 52 goals in 81 appearances for City, but has been regularly linked with a move away from the club over the past 12 months; ahead of this year’s January transfer window he made and then withdrew a transfer request and again expressed his desire to leave two weeks ago.
Tevez has also previously been linked with Juventus, Inter Milan and Real Madrid but has maintained that his motivation for moving is to be closer to his daughters.
“Living without my children in Manchester has been incredibly challenging for me,” Tevez said earlier this month. “Everything I do, I do for my daughters, Katie and Florencia. I need to be closer to them and to spend more time with them.”
City defender Joleon Lescott admitted he would be disappointed to see Tevez depart but understood his wishes.
Lescott said “We’ll be disappointed if Carlos leaves but it was down to the club and Carlos what was best for each other and they have come to an agreement so I wish both parties all the best.
“Carlos is his own man. Last season he played to 110% every game so none of us will be holding any grudges towards him and we’ll wish him all the best if he does leave.”